27 September 2011

Posted by Lisa-Marie Dutt |
A few days ago.. I lost my beloved baby bunny Kiara to a disease known as gastro-intestinal obstruction. The same problem has occured twice prior to the last, at which point I lost her as it was too far advanced to be treated. The heartbreak I'm feeling at the moment is going to last a very long time, especially now I'm aware that if I had taken her in sooner, the problem could have been treated.

I believe the point of this post is to urge every pet owner to waste no time at all in seeking medical help for them if you feel there is something even slightly wrong. The reason I did not seek out medical attention for Kiara the first or second time around was due to the fact that she had managed to heal herself within a few hours.. that being so, I had expected her to do so again if it repeated. However, the third time around we were not so lucky. To my greatest displeasure, Kiara began weaker and weaker, refused to touch her food, her water and also had difficulty going to the toilet. She was also fairly lethargic and lay hunched over as though incredibly uncomfortable. I spent hours and hours by her side, trying my hardest to get her to eat or drink and it did not prove helpful in the slightest.

After finally accepting the fact that I wasn't able to help her, I took her to a vet to see if there was anything they could do. My heart broke into a million pieces upon hearing the problem had gotten too far and had reached a point whereby it was untreatable. It came as no surprise when I lost all control and cried excessively whilst listening to the vet tell me the best thing I could do for her was to put her to sleep and end her suffering. I did just that, the hardest decision I have ever made in my life and I have vowed to never own another animal again. Putting myself through such a thing twice doesn't go down well with me at all. If you have a pet and feel even the smallest bit concerned over their health, do not hesitate to take them in straight away, you might just be saving their lives.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment