2 January 2012

Posted by Lisa-Marie Dutt |
As it's been a while since my last post here, I decided this was a suitable topic. It is currently the only problem I am suffering with and already, this post is beginning to sound terrible. Either way, I wanted to offer a little insight and advice in regard to getting back on track when you're struggling to write.

Usually, I cannot stand using the term writers block because it irritates me everytime I submit to the fact that I am having trouble writing anything at all. I don't enjoy taking breaks and the waiting period is sometimes hell. Staring at a blank page or screen and waiting for inspiration to just kick in by itself rarely sprouts success. If you have tried countless times to sit yourself down and hope for the best, you'll understand exactly what I'm talking about here. I have done that many times and it never ends well at all. At times it is the thought alone of trying to create that makes us want to beat our muse to a pulp; if you're the violent type that is. Otherwise, if you're like me, though I must confess I have done the previous suggestion once or twice, you often pass up every opportunity you get because you just feel as though your writing is nowhere near good enough and you can do so much better.

I normally find the ideas below to prove somewhat helpful; if not totally. Perhaps you should have a little look and see what you already use for inspiration or what you could add to your ideas list.

  • Music
  • Movies
  • Books
  • Quotes
  • Outdoors
  • Internet
  • Brainstorm
The above are just the basics and you have the freedom to create from them whatever you will. An example would be expanding each of them and exploring all of the possibilities; they are after all endless. Try expanding on the idea Internet, from which you could explore a variety of different sites directed toward helping writers overcome all of their problems. There are thousands of sites out their dedicated to this alone so there is no chance of you falling behind whilst looking for the perfect one to use. They mostly contain thousands and thousands of writing prompts, often on a daily basis so you're not left hanging and wondering if you should test our another site. But, that is not a bad idea either. How do you ovecome writer's block?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment